English Proficiency Exams
一道本不卡免费高清Illinois Tech's TOEFL code is 1318.
If you are taking the IELTS, request for your scores to be sent to us electronically. You can also input your IELTS test number in your Illinois Tech application tracker.
Please visit the , , and sites for more information.
TOEFL is given in two formats: paper-based or internet-based. The following are minimum scores required depending on which format you complete. You must submit a score report from one these options. You must earn a minimum of one of the following:
TOEFL Composite of
Students will be required to attend Illinois Tech's Intensive English Program and complete through level 4 before beginning academic classes. Students take an English assessment when they arrive to campus and based on their results are placed into the appropriate English level (1–4).
TOEFL Composite of
Students will be required to take an English assessment when they arrive to campus. Based on the results, students may be required to take PESL classes concurrently with academic classes. Students who do not demonstrate the ability to be successful in PESL courses will need to complete the Intensive English Program (IEP). Students may need to take summer academic courses to graduate within the time/semesters indicated for their academic program.
TOEFL Composite of
Meets admission criteria and no additional English assessments required.
On the PTE Academic Test, you must earn a 53 or better.
Note: 一道本不卡免费高清If you do not meet our minimum English proficiency requirements, or if there is other evidence that suggests you may need additional English training, you may be required to take additional English proficiency assessment measures that will be evaluated by our professional English Language Services faculty and could result in your being required to take a course or courses in our English language programs.
English Proficiency Requirement Waived
一道本不卡免费高清The English proficiency requirement may be waived if you:
- Completed at least two consecutive years of your education (high school equivalent) in the United States or one of the countries listed below
- Have received a score of at least 550 on the critical reading section of the SAT, a subscore of at least 30 on the reading section of the redesigned SAT, or a 25 on the English section of the ACT.
- Have attended one of our partner English schools and completed the following level:
- Illinois Tech's Intensive English Program (IEP): Complete level 4 (Advanced)
- Kaplan International Center (KIC): Complete Advanced level at any KIC location
- ELS Education Services (ELS): Complete level 112 at any ELS location
- The Language Company (TLC): Complete level 9 at any TLC location
- Stafford House International: Complete level 6 at any Stafford House location
- Transfer applicants may also have this requirement waived if they have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours at a U.S. college or university, excluding any coursework in English as a Second Language.
- Are an applicant from one of the following countries:
Antigua and Barbuda
一道本不卡免费高清You must demonstrate that you or your sponsor have the available finances to meet the educational and living expenses while you are a student at Illinois Tech. Please note: the minimum dollar amount may vary based on any merit-based scholarships awarded.
To fulfill this requirement, you must complete the Financial Affidavit of Support for F-1 Students (international first-year and transfer students) form or the Financial Affidavit of Support for J-1 Students (international visiting and exchange students) form.
International First-Year and Transfer Students
International Visiting and Exchange Students
Either have a bank official sign and stamp Section IV of the Financial Affidavit of Support Form OR submit an official bank statement demonstrating the amount of available funds. This bank statement must be on bank letterhead and signed and stamped by a bank official.
It is important to remember the following things when submitting your Financial Affidavit of Support Form:
- Proof of finances can only be demonstrated by funds in liquid cash accounts. Information such as salary letters, investment accounts, or stocks do not qualify as proof of availability of funds.
- If you are submitting proof of financing in an account that is not in your own name, you will need to have your sponsor complete Section III of the Financial Affidavit of Support Form.
- You may submit bank statements from two or more sponsors. However, each sponsor must complete Section III of the Financial Affidavit of Support Form.
- The bank statement you provide must clearly show the currency of the funds in the account.
- The Financial Affidavit of Support Form is not needed for review purposes and can be sent in after you receive your admission and scholarship decision.
- If you have been admitted and received a scholarship, you may deduct your scholarship amount from the total amount of funds you are asked to demonstrate on the Financial Affidavit of Support Form.
一道本不卡免费高清Your Financial Affidavit of Support Form can be uploaded to your Application Tracker once you have submitted your application. You will only be able to upload one document, so you should combine your Financial Affidavit of Support Form and bank statement into one PDF before uploading. Please note that this information is required to issue the Immigration and Customs Enforcement form I-20 or DS-2019, which you will use to obtain an F1 or J-1 visa.
Most international students who wish to enter the United States for educational purposes will need to apply for a student visa. Degree-seeking international students at Illinois Tech will receive a Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa, whereas non-degree seeking international students (visiting and exchange students) will receive a Form DS-2019 to apply for a J-1 student visa.
一道本不卡免费高清Students must complete the following steps to receive their immigration documents and receive a visa to study at Illinois Tech. Please note that Canadian citizens have a different process outlined below.
1. Submit Required Documentation
All students must submit a copy of their passport and a Financial Affidavit of Support Form in order to receive an I-20 or DS-2019. You may upload a copy of your passport and Financial Affidavit of Support Form to your Application Tracker. Upon admission and submission of required documents, I-20s and DS-2019’s are generally processed within five business days.
Students who are currently studying in the United States will need to request a SEVIS transfer release from their current institution before we are able to issue an I-20. SEVIS records can only be available to one school at a time, so students must finish their studies at their current institution before being eligible to transfer their SEVIS record and receive an I-20 from Illinois Tech.
2. Obtain a Form I-20/Form DS-2019
Please make sure that your name, biographical information, and program information are all listed correctly on your I-20 or DS-2019, as this information will be used for the visa stamp in your passport.
3. Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee
一道本不卡免费高清All new students must pay a SEVIS fee before the United States Department of State will issue a visa. We recommend paying this fee as soon as you receive your immigration documents to allow sufficient time for the fee payment to be updated in your SEVIS record. Upon payment, you will be issued a receipt that you must bring to your visa appointment.
4. Schedule a Visa Interview
We recommend applying for your visa as early as possible, as interview appointment and visa processing wait times vary by country. The steps of applying for a visa and scheduling an interview vary based on the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply. You will need the following information to schedule your interview:
Full university name: Illinois Institute of Technology
University address: 10 West 35th Street, Chicago, IL 60616
School Code (for I-20’s): CHI214F00379000
一道本不卡免费高清Program Number (for DS-2019’s): P-1-00266
5. Attend Visa Interview
一道本不卡免费高清The documents you are required to bring to your visa interview will depend on your location, so you should confirm with your local embassy or consulate what documentation is required. In general, you should prepare to bring the following documents:
- Passport valid for at least six months into the future
- Original Illinois Tech I-20 or DS-2019
- Official Illinois Tech admission letter (included in your I-20 or DS-2019 package)
- Completed and signed visa application forms
- Photograph(s) in the required format • Receipt of SEVIS I-901 fee payment
- Proof of funding sufficient to cover your tuition and living expenses during the first year of your program. You may demonstrate this by providing the original versions of the Financial Affidavit of Support Form and bank statement you submitted to receive your immigration documents.
一道本不卡免费高清For more visa tips, please visit NAFSA for points to remember when applying for a student visa.
6. Arrive in the United States
You are allowed enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. Make sure to carry your immigration documents (passport with visa, I-20 or DS-2019, financial documents) with you in your carry-on luggage. You should report to Illinois Tech’s International Center to check in within two days of arriving in Chicago. If you have an F-1 visa, you will have a “grace period” of 60 days following your program end date to leave the U.S. If you are a J-1 student, you will be required to leave the U.S. within 30 days of your program completion date.
一道本不卡免费高清Canadian citizens do not need student visas to study in the U.S.; however, you do need to obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 from Illinois Tech. As soon as you receive your immigration documents you should pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
When you cross the border to study in the U.S. you will need to provide the officer at the port of entry:
- Valid passport
- Original Illinois Tech I-20 or DS-2019
- Receipt of SEVIS I-901 fee payment
- Proof of funding sufficient to cover your tuition and living expenses during the first year of your program; you may demonstrate this by providing the original versions of the Financial Affidavit of Support Form and bank statement you submitted to receive your immigration documents
- Proof of your ties to Canada
For additional information, please contact the Illinois Tech International Center at email@example.com.
Submit official or certified copies of your transcript(s) from all universities/colleges you have attended to Illinois Tech's Office of Undergraduate Admission.
Illinois Tech requires transcripts from all higher education institutes attended, regardless of financial or academic standing, length of attendance, or length of time since attendance.
In cases where official transcripts are not issued in English, you must submit the official native language transcript along with a certified translated English version.
Official transcripts should be sent to Illinois Tech directly from the higher education institutes.
一道本不卡免费高清You may upload an unofficial copy of your transcripts to your Application Tracker once you have submitted your application.