Applying for Financial Aid
Important steps to take to apply for financial aid at Illinois Tech
When completing a FAFSA, be certain to take note of the following:
- Illinois Tech’s school code is 001691
- The FAFSA should be filed when the application is released to avoid risking eligibility for federal and state grants
- The Department of Education will email your two to four business days after your FAFSA is submitted
- Errors preventing the FAFSA from calculating an will be listed in your Student Aid Report. Be certain to correct any inaccurate information, if requested.
- Award letters for admitted students are mailed in February. If you complete a FAFSA after mid-February, expect to receive your award letter roughly two weeks after the FAFSA is completed.
For more tips and resources on completing the FAFSA, read our Resource Page.
Domestic undergraduate students without a J-1, F-1, or H-4 visa and who are ineligible to submit a FAFSA can be considered for additional financial aid by completing the Application for Additional Financial Aid Consideration form. This form and additional financial information for undocumented students are located on the One Stop website.
The Department of Education randomly selects a portion of all FAFSA applications for verification. After our admission office receives your Student Aid Report, you may need to submit additional information to our office to verify your FAFSA data. Students selected will receive an email. Incoming first-year students should note that this email will be sent to their hawk.giftwareindex.com accounts. The verification process needs to be completed before Illinois Tech can disburse your federal and state awards.*
Special Circumstance Appeal
The Office of Financial Aid realizes a student may face life events that cause their financial situation to change. Illinois Tech can exercise professional judgment to reevaluate a domestic undergraduate student's financial aid package provided the appropriate documentation is on file. Learn more about the Special Circumstance Appeal.
*The Collens Scholarship is also contingent upon verification. This award cannot disburse until verification is complete.